P. S. 1 Community Newsletter
Ms. Cindy Lau, Parent Coordinator
Dear P.S. 1 Families,
Our tentative morning line-up schedules for school year 2017-2018 are as follows:
- Kindergarten, Grades 1 & 5 – in the auditorium,
- Grades 2, 3, 4, & Lower 12:1:1 – in the indoor yard
(The school day begins at 8:15 AM and dismissal is at 2:35 PM. Kindergarteners will have early dismissal on the first day of school)
English as a New Language Learners (ENL) Parent Workshop
Wednesday, September 13th, 3:30 – 4:30 PM in the auditorium. This workshop is for parents of Kindergarten and ENL newly admitted students (from grades 1 – 5), who indicated on the Home Language Identification Survey (HLIS) that their children speak English as their second language. These ENL students are entitled to ENL services because they did not pass the New York State Identification Test of English Language Learners (NYSITELL).
Welcome Back to School Night will be held on Wednesday, September 13, 4:30 – 7:00 PM. More information to come.
Middle School Articulation Process
- Tuesday, September 26 @ 8:30 AM – Meeting with Fifth Grade parents/guardians (Chinese Speaking only)
- Wednesday, September 27 @ 8:30 AM – Meeting with Fifth Grade parents/guardians (English Speaking only)
- Middle School Directories and Middle School Fair flyers will be sent home as soon as they are received.
Rosh Hashanah – Thursday, September 21 and Friday, September 22 (schools closed).
Reading Empowers for Grade 1, 2 & 3 will begin on Saturday sometime in September or October (Please check the monthly calendar for updates).
Grade 4 Apex ELA will begin on Saturday sometime in September or October (Please check the monthly calendar for updates).
Apex Basketball will begin on Saturday sometime in September or October(Please check the monthly calendar for updates).
Young Runners Club & New York City Football Club (NYCFC)/Soccer Club will begin in October. More information to come.
Read Ahead Program (formerly Power Lunch) will begin sometime in September or October, during school hours.
The first PTA General Meeting will be in October (more information to come). Topics will include:
- how the PTA supports our school
- important events
- PTA membership dues