Welcome to Kindergarten Admissions!
All New York City residents with children born in 2013 can apply to kindergarten. Get ready by taking these next steps:
- Read the NYC Kindergarten Directory: Learn about applying to kindergarten and find programs that interest you in your borough and district.
- Attend an Elementary Admissions Event: Come to an event in your district to learn about Kindergarten and Gifted & Talented (G&T) Admissions.
- Mark Your Calendar: Apply to kindergarten starting on Tuesday, November 28.
If you just moved to New York City and are not yet enrolled at a school for the 2017-2018 school year, learn how to enroll on the New Students page.
Kindergarten Admissions Overview
Elementary education prepares your child for success in school and life. New York City students can apply to kindergarten in the calendar year they turn five.
Who Can Apply to Kindergarten?
- Families with children born in 2013
- New York City residents
- Current pre-K students at public district schools, Pre-K Centers, NYC Early Education Centers (NYCEEC), charter schools, private schools, and parochial schools
- Students who move to NYC during the admissions process Get More Information >
- Students with Disabilities (SWD) participate in the same Kindergarten Admissions process as their general education peers. All elementary schools are expected to welcome and serve Students with Disabilities in accordance with their Individual Education Programs (IEP).
- English Language Learners (ELL) participate in the same Kindergarten Admissions process as students whose first language is English. No school may deny admission, registration, or enrollment to a student based on the student’s English Language Learner (ELL) or perceived ELL status or a student’s ELL proficiency level as determined by a formal assessment test.
- Students in Temporary Housing (STH) can apply to kindergarten even if their housing situation is uncertain. They do not need paperwork to apply to schools, accept an offer, or enroll in a school.
How Can You Get Started?
Use the resources below to learn about school options and the admissions process:
- Read the NYC Kindergarten Directory.
- Search for your zoned school.
- Learn about charter schools.
- Sign up for kindergarten email updates.
Kindergarten resources are also available in translation:
For more information about kindergarten enrollment, go to the New York City Department of Education website.