Welcome to Gifted & Talented (G&T) Admissions!
All students who will be entering kindergarten through third grade for the 2019-2010 school year can sign up to test for G&T programs. Get ready by taking these next steps:
- Read the 2019 Gifted & Talented Handbook: Learn about G&T Admissions, find programs that interest you, and prepare for the G&T test with practice problems.
- Attend an Elementary Admissions Event: Come to an event in your district to learn about G&T and Elementary Admissions.
- Sign up to take the G&T test by Monday, November 13.
Families who have a student entering kindergarten for the 2019-2010 school year should also know about Kindergarten Admissions and those school options.
If seats become available in G&T programs for the 2018-2019 school year, schools will continue to make offers through mid-October to students already on their waitlists.
If you just moved to New York City and are not yet enrolled in a school for the 2018-2019 school year, learn how to enroll on the New Students page.
G&T Admissions Overview
Gifted & Talented (G&T) programs are one way that New York City supports the educational needs of exceptional students. Students entering kindergarten through third grade can participate in G&T Admissions by taking the G&T Test.
Who Can Take the G&T Test?
- Families with children who are currently in pre-K through second grade.
- Current New York City residents.
- Current students at public district schools, Pre-K Centers, NYC Early Education Centers (NYCEEC), charter schools, private schools, and parochial schools.
- Students with Disabilities (SWD) are encouraged to take the G&T Test. All G&T programs are expected to welcome and support all students in accordance with their Individualized Education Programs (IEP).
- English Language Learners (ELL) participate in the same G&T Admissions process as students whose first language is English.
- Students in Temporary Housing (STH) are encouraged to participate in G&T Admissions even if their housing situation is uncertain.
- Students who are currently attending District G&T programs can test to apply to Citywide G&T programs. Students who are currently attending Citywide G&T programs are not eligible to test for a different G&T placement.
How Can You Get Started?
Use the resources below to learn about program options and the admissions process:
G&T resources are also available in translation:
For more information about Gifted and Talented admissions, go to the New York City Department of Education website.